The Costs Draftsman reports to the Head of Costs. Their main responsibilities will be the management of a designated costing case load as allocated by the Head of Costs through to payment and invoicing in a timeous fashion and in accordance with the appropriate costs regime whilst having regard to the maximisation of profit to the firm and with reference to the individual and collective performance and recovery targets of the Costs Department. It is envisaged that this will involve liaising with people at all levels across a number of disciplines within the practice.
It is envisaged that the specific areas of responsibility within the framework of the practice’s activities will be:
· Preparation in the appropriate format of all types of bills, schedules and forms of costs
· Preparing the appropriate bundle for service, lodgement and/or assessment as necessary
· Advising on and attending to the conduct of appeals against costs decisions as and when appropriate
· Conduct of the service/lodgement/assessment/negotiation process
· Advice and support to all partners, fee earners and support staff on costs and related recovery and billing issues.
· Attending upon detailed legal aid and assessments
· Exceptional Legal Help billing
· HCCP (High Costs Case Plans) knowledge of preparation and taking plan forward to conclusion
· Appropriate fee earner support and education in respect of the costing process
· Liaise with people at all levels, including support staff in order to resolve legal aid and accounts queries to allow for conclusion and billing
· Such other support and administrative duties and correspondence as is from time to time necessary to fulfil the above remit.
In addition, the Costs Draftsman will be required to carry out any request which is authorised by the Head of Finance or a Partner of the Firm and is consistent with his or her general duties, sometimes at short notice.
The Costs Draftsman will be expected to bill and/or recover profit costs or fees commensurate with salary.
The Costs Draftsman will be conversant and ensure compliance with both the Costs Office Manual supplied with their contract and the Office Manual held on the firm’s Intranet.