A leading international law firm practicing in major financial and commercial markets.
Outline of role
The role of the Costs Assistant is to provide support to the Costs Draftsmen who are responsible for documents which are presented to the Court. The Costs Assistant will work under the guidance of the Costs Draftsman. A key component of the role is to gather data from in-house systems and manipulate as directed by the Costs Draftsman. The Costs Assistant will collate bundles of documents and produce Word documents and Excel spread sheets
- Minimum 5 GCSE's or equivalent at A-C including English and Maths
- 3-5 years' experience as a Costs Assistant would be preferable
- Excel skills to intermediate level: formatting, tabulating, sorting, filtering, basic mathematical functions (add, subtract, multiply, divide, sum), linking formulae between spread sheets. An understanding of and ability to create pivot tables would be an advantage. Experience using Excel to prepare simple interest calculations and manipulate large volumes of data is desired.
- Experience of legal in house finance systems including billing and time recording. in house systems include Elite, Webview and Carpe Diem; familiarity with these systems may be an advantage.
- Word skills to intermediate level including formatting and working with tables.
- Basic skills in PowerPoint
- Experience of working with large volumes of data
Day to day duties
- Assist the Costs Draftsman in preparing documents and spread sheets to be presented to the Court and others as appropriate. The documents include:
- Precedent H cost budgets
- Precedent R reports
- Formal bills of costs for detailed assessment
- Statements of costs for summary assessment
- Schedules of costs for interim payment applications
- Points of Dispute and Replies in detailed assessment proceedings
- Instructions or Brief to Counsel
- Obtain and manipulate/format data to assist with costs estimations, for example time breakdowns, month end reports, and interest calculations, billing guides and recapped breakdowns of invoices. To create, edit and amend spread sheets as requested; inputting, amending and deleting entries, running calculations and linking between spread sheets.
- To prepare documents in Word, for example:
- Points of Dispute
- Replies to Points of Dispute
- Witness Statements
- Collate bundles of documents as directed
- Occasionally prepare or edit PowerPoint presentations
- Filing and general administrative tasks
- Other tasks as directed
Please email your up to date CV stating your current salary, notice period & salary sought
Our aim is to respond to all successful applications within 5 days. If you haven't been contacted
within 5 days your application has been unsuccessful and your details will not be held further but we
positively encourage you to apply for any other positions that you may see in the future.
We apologise that we cannot contact everybody in person but thank you in advance for your
Adept Recruitment Ltd encourages applications from individuals of all ages & backgrounds.
Appointment will be made on merit alone but candidates must be able to demonstrate their ability
to work in the UK. Adept Recruitment Ltd acts as an employment agency for permanent recruitment