A leading international law firm practicing in major financial and commercial markets,
Outline of role
The Costs Draftsman will be responsible for the preparation and submission of claims for costs – both for assessment and payment (budgeted and actual). The claims must be presented to the Court and other parties in the matter within the required timescales. The Costs Draftsman is also responsible for managing and negotiating the settlement in compliance with Court procedures, including issuing and responding to Points of Dispute.
The Costs Draftsman is responsible for providing guidance, advice and supervision to other team members as necessary, and advising other departments regarding costs issues
- A minimum of 3-5 years' experience as a costs draftsman in a legal environment
- Costs negotiation experience
- Proven IT skills and an ability to adapt to new technology
- Demonstrable strong administrative and organisational skills
- Professional qualification accredited by the Association of Cost Lawyers (or equivalent) will be recognised, as will relevant years of experience gained in the field.
- Extensive, current knowledge of court procedures including:
- Party and Party costs recovery (on the indemnity or standard basis of assessment
- Solicitors Act 1974 costs assessments (between solicitor and client)
- High Court and county court (all divisions including Companies Court and Bankruptcy
- Court of Appeal
- Supreme Court
- Privy Council
- Competition Appeal Tribunal
- Planning Appeals
- Lands Tribunal
- Legal Aid
- Crown Court and Magistrates
- Costs in other jurisdictions (eg Hong Kong, Dubai)
- Excel skills to intermediate level: formatting, tabulating, sorting, filtering, basic mathematical functions (add, subtract, multiply, divide, sum), linking formulae between spreadsheets. An understanding of and ability to create pivot tables would be an advantage.
- Word skills to intermediate level including formatting and working with tables.
- Basic skills in PowerPoint
Day to day duties
- To prepare forms for presentation to the Court, including but not limited to:
- Precedent H costs budgets
- Precedent R report
- Formal bills of costs for detailed assessment
- Statements of costs of interim payment applications
- Instructions and Briefs to Counsel
- To draft Points of Dispute and responses
- Court attendance to represent the client, including detailed assessment hearings
- Liaise with fee earners and support staff as required regarding caseload updates
- Provide advice to colleagues across the firm regarding a variety of legal costs matters, including Court practice and procedure
- Collation of bundles of documents
- Obtain and manipulate/format data to assist with costs estimations, for example time breakdowns, month end reports, and interest calculations, billing guides and recapped breakdowns of invoices.
- Other tasks as directed
Please email your up to date CV stating your current salary, notice period & salary sought
Our aim is to respond to all successful applications within 5 days. If you haven't been contacted
within 5 days your application has been unsuccessful and your details will not be held further but we
positively encourage you to apply for any other positions that you may see in the future.